Applications can be submitted only in person by prior appointment. Appointments can be made via the online reservation system.

The use of the online reservation system and making appointment is free of charge.

Online booking system

ATTENTION! If the change of name is due to a marriage abroad, first, you should apply for the registration of the marriage in Hungary (házasság hazai anyakönyvezése), as part of which the married name will be changed.

You can change your married name during and after the marriage, too. Law regulates the forms of married name; you can only choose from those forms.

The required documents are the followings:

  • original Hungarian birth certificate
  • original marriage certificate
  • valid passport or identity card
  • address card ((lakcímkártya) (the card will be taken by the consulate).

The duration of the procedure is at least 3 months, but it might take longer.

You can find the change of married name [Névviselési forma módosítása (házassági)] service fee here.