Events (like birth, marriage, divorce, death) of a Hungarian citizen abroad shall be registered with the Hungarian authorities by applying for the “Hungarian registration procedure”.

Application for the Hungarian registration can be submitted at the consulate, but it is not possible to apply at the honorary consul.

In the Hungarian registration procedure, the Consulate General of Hungary in Istanbul receives the application and then transmits it to the competent authority in Hungary. The procedure is performed by the Budapest Metropolitan Government Office (Budapest Főváros Kormányhivatala - BFKH).

Email address of the Budapest Metropolitan Government Office (BFKH):

Reception time: Wednesday 08.30-12.00

Telephone: (+36 1) 323 3176 / 3162

Please note that the original copy of the foreign birth, marriage or divorce certificate (for example Formül A, Formül B) will be added to the registration documentation, therefore, the original copies cannot be returned to the applicant.

Divorce registration application can be submitted only in person by prior appointment. Appointments can be made via the online reservation system.

The use of the online reservation system and making appointment is free of charge.

Online booking system

The divorce of a Hungarian citizen took place abroad shall be registered in Hungary.

In case your marriage abroad has not yet been registered in Hungary, with the divorce registration you have to submit an application for the marriage registration, too. In this case, the administration time is prolonged and you have to submit more type of documents (please also see the section of “Registration of marriage in Hungary”).

The required documents are the followings:

  • original document certifying the divorce (marriage certificate including the fact of the divorce and the final court decision)
  • authentic Hungarian translation of the certificate of divorce
  • valid passport or identity card identifying the applicant and his / her nationality
  • simple copy of the Hungarian marriage certificate
  • simple copy of the birth certificate of the Hungarian spouse
  • if you also want to change your name (for example, you would like to use your birth name again), you must also fill in the "request to change your married name” (“kérelem házassági névviselési forma megváltoztatására") form

In case of the registration of divorce in Hungary, the fee must be paid for the issuance of a marriage certificate containing the fact of the divorce.