Events (like birth, marriage, divorce, death) of a Hungarian citizen abroad shall be registered with the Hungarian authorities by applying for the “Hungarian registration procedure”.

Application for the Hungarian registration can be submitted at the consulate, but it is not possible to apply at the honorary consul.

In the Hungarian registration procedure, the Consulate General of Hungary in Istanbul receives the application and then transmits it to the competent authority in Hungary. The procedure is performed by the Budapest Metropolitan Government Office (Budapest Főváros Kormányhivatala - BFKH).

Email address of the Budapest Metropolitan Government Office (BFKH):

Reception time: Wednesday 08.30-12.00

Telephone: (+36 1) 323 3176 / 3162

Please note that the original copy of the foreign birth, marriage or divorce certificate (for example Formül A, Formül B) will be added to the registration documentation, therefore, the original copies cannot be returned to the applicant.

Birth registration application can be submitted only in person by prior appointment. Appointments can be made via the online reservation system.

The use of the online reservation system and making appointment is free of charge.

Online booking system

The Turkish birth certificate (doğum kayıt örneği) can be obtained free of charge from the competent population registry office (Nüfus İdairesi) of the place of residence in Turkey. This document does not need to be validated / accompanied by an Apostille certificate or a certified translation.

Although the application for birth registration shall be initiated by the Hungarian parent, both parents should appear in person and sign the data sheets in front of the consul.

The required documents are the followings:

  • original foreign birth certificate (doğum kayıt örneği - Formül A)
  • a valid passport or identity card identifying the parents and their nationality
  • a document certifying Hungarian citizenship, which may be the same as a document presented for proving identity (passport, identity card or naturalization document, citizenship document issued within one year)
  • if the parents were married when the child was born, a simple copy of the parents’ Hungarian marriage certificate
  • if the parents of the child are not married, the declaration of acknowledgement of paternity (this can be made at the Consulate, or at foreign authorities, but with official Hungarian translation); a court judgment establishing the paternity is also acceptable (in case of a foreign judgement, with official Hungarian translation).

From 15th March of 2024 the original foreign birth, marriage and death certificates submitted in the application for civil registration procedures are evenly required to have certified Hungarian translation. There is also a possibility to prepare the authentic translation at the Consulate General during submitting the application itself. You can find the relevant service fees here.

Registration of the child

During the procedure, the parents shall declare their child's place of residence, based on which the Hungarian authorities will register the child as a Hungarian citizen “living in Hungary” (“Magyarországon élő”) or “living abroad” (“külföldön élő”).

Registration of a child as Hungarian citizen living in Hungary - this option can only be chosen if the Hungarian parent has not declared his/her final settlement abroad.

Documents to be attached to this type of application:

  • a copy of the Hungarian address card (“lakcímkártya”) of one of the parents, on which the Hungarian address is indicated or
  • a copy of the Hungarian title deed (“tulajdoni lap”) or lease agreement certifying the residence of the Hungarian parent.

Registration of a child as Hungarian citizen living abroad - this option can only be chosen if the Hungarian parent has declared his/her final settlement abroad or if the child is to be registered at the address of the Turkish parent.

The registration of birth is free of charge.

For children under age of 6, the passport procedure can be initiated simultaneously with the Hungarian birth registration procedure on the basis of the written declaration of the Hungarian parent. For the passport procedure please bring a new passport photo of the child.